Victorian Black/White Chequer Tile is rated
Rated 5 out of
Exactly what we were looking for and exactly as described
Our tiler found these really easy to lay and they are absolutely perfect for a period property. Topps also great to deal with
Date published: 2018-05-29
Rated 4 out of
Great look but difficult to clean.
I have always loved Victorian tiles so decided to bite the bullet and tile my entrance hall.
Having never tiled anywhere before I was worried that I would make a mistake with measuring, tile positioning or/and pattern. As it turned out, it wasn’t as complicated as it seemed, but I would definitely recommend planning the pattern out on paper first to save on errors and time.
After looking online for an ‘order of events’ I soon realised that I needed to level the floor before I could start. After returning from the shop after forgetting the levelling mix, I decided I didn’t need it. To get around the uneven floor I decided to fill the uneven sections of the floor with tile adhesive/grout ahead of tiling. This (surprisingly) appears to have worked.
The first tiles that I placed were the border tiles. I opted for a white border as my aim was to do the job as cheaply as I could, and the official border tiles cost a little more than the plain white. The border is the most important part of the whole process. I would constantly check the distance between the border on the left of the room with the right to ensure it wasn’t starting to run out. Once the border has been placed, the rest is much simpler, as you just need to fill the space with the mesh tiles.
There was an added benefit to using lots of adhesive/grout to level the floor. When pressing the tiles down the adhesive/grout would press through the tile spaces causing them to grout themselves.
I filled the main body of the floor with the tiles in a diamond position, occasionally cutting tiles in half to keep the pattern along the border edge. As I used an electric tile cutter that had a water tray to cool and clean, the mesh that held the tiles together fell apart due to coming in contact with the water.
I pressed the tiles down using a spirit level so I could ensure they were all level.
Just before I finished the main tiling, I decided to create a number ‘4’ (my door number) inside a border just in line with my front door.
I’m really happy with the results, but as you can see in the image, I’ve found it difficult to remove the excess grout. I have since purchased extra strength grout remover which seems to be helping, but it’s definitely going to take some time and effort to clean.
Date published: 2017-08-20