It's no secret that we love mosaics here at Topps Tiles, and this week we'd like to take you on a trip around the globe as we explore five of the very best mosaics worldwide. Prepare to be inspired!
5) Up first, it's the Park Guell Gaudi Mosaics in Barcelona. Many colourful and eye-catching stone structures preside over the park, but the mosaic-scaled dragon
is undoubtedly our favourite.
4) Next, the bright, beautiful mosaics that cover the entrance, dome, interior chamber and minarets of the Jāmeh Mosque of Yazd
leave us feeling so inspired, we just had to include this 12th century construction in our list. You can see the mosque on the Iranian 200-rial banknote.
3) The Mosaic Tile House in Venice, California, is a paradise of colour. While resident and artist Cheri Pann and her designer husband Gonzalo Duran have made the whole place magical with unique collages of material and props such as pipes, golf clubs, scissors, teapots, glasswork and silverware, we can't lie: it's the property's wonderful mish-mash of tiles that really gets us excited. You'll find some fantastic images of the house here
2) The famous mosaics in three separate churches around Ravenna, Italy, depict biblical scenes in such beautiful artistic detail, they've not only made it onto our list, they're also UNESCO World Heritage Sites. You can see these beautiful sites of religious, historical and artistic importance here: Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo
, Sant'Apollinare in Classe
, Basilica of San Vitale
1) The Alfred Hitchcock mosaics
in Leytonstone underground station were created in 2001 to mark one hundred years since the legendary director's birth.
We can't decide which we love most, and while their position in the busy station isn't the best, it's well worth the annoyed looks you'll inevitably receive to stand and gaze at them for a minute or two before the crowd sweeps you away.