Welcome to the third instalment in our ‘10 Questions With' series where, this time, we sit down with our new Buying Manager Clare and ask her 10 questions to get to know her a little better and find out what's inspiring her new collections during her first few months in the role.
1. What's your favourite Topps Tiles range so far?
That's a tricky one for me as I'm new to Topps and am trying to learn about the many types of products we have. However, I really like Catania 1860 and the richness of the colours.
2. What influences the products you develop or are planning to develop?
Our customers and future trends you see as a Buyer. I personally also like to use the runway and fabrics for inspiration.
3. Tell us an emerging trend we should look out for in 2015
We're seeing some great trends coming through which combine materials and shapes. Mixing a natural stone with a wood effect tile, for example, really brings warmth to a space and adds a touch of personality to a room.
4. What's one piece of advice you'd give to someone looking to buy tiles for their home?
Be brave! Tiles are so versatile and can really turn an average room to an amazing space, but spend timing thinking about how you'll use the space today, tomorrow and in five years' time. You can use tiles to create a feature within your room but still have that timeless effect.
5. What influenced your decision to get into Buying?
It's not just Buying for me, I love retail – I've worked for both Manufacturers and Retailers and there is nothing more rewarding than creating a product from scratch and then seeing it in our stores.
6. What's your favourite aspect of your job so far?
The team! I really enjoy working with lots of different people and departments, and seeing the results we achieve when we work well together.
7. If you weren't in the tile industry, what do you think you would you be doing?
I've always wanted to own a children's bookshop, with a coffee and cake area for the Mums and Dads!
8. Name one thing you can't live without
My family, I have two girls age 3 & 5. They are amazing and make me smile everyday!
9. Tell us something people would be surprised to learn about you
I'm an adrenalin junky! If it's not skiing, it's motorbikes, but more recently horse riding!
10. What does a perfect weekend look like to you?
A sunny, warm weekend at home enjoying family time with good food and a glass of vino.